What are Cold Sores (Fever Blisters)
Cold sores, also called also known as fever blisters or fever sores, are sores that usually appear around the nostrils, cheeks, lips, mouth and chin. The cold sore is painful, fluid-filled and looks like a blister. After you’ve had your first outbreak of fever blister, you can usually feel them “coming on”. A tingling sensation around your mouth usually signals that cold sores will appear within the next couple of days.
What Causes Cold Sores?
Cold sores are usually caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1. These sores are small and filled with pus or liquid. This virus is such in nature that once you get these cold sores, you stand the chance of constantly getting them. There are a number of cold sores symptoms that one would easily be able to identify. The cold sores symptoms include small pus filled blisters that can be painful and unsightly.
There is definite cold sores cure and you need to manage the cold sores symptoms so that you prevent another attack. This is the only effective cold sores treatment. You will find many medicated creams that are available without prescription at chemists. These medicated creams contain benzyl alcohol which helps reduce the pain and irritation of the fever blisters. Repeated and continual application is really beneficial but as these fever blisters tend to be very contagious, it is very important to be careful and constantly disinfect after each application.
How to Get Rid of Cold Sores using Cold Sore Home Remedies
Natural treatments and fever blister remedies are the most beneficial to get rid of a cold sore especially as there is no other long term cure. Home remedies help relieve the irritation from the symptoms, thus making it easier to last it out until the cold sores are cured.
1. By applying ice directly to the sore, you will relieve some of the painful swelling. If you catch the sore at the tingling, oncoming stage, there’s a good chance that icing it will keep it from becoming larger.
2. Cooled and soaked tea bags have been known to reduce the irritation and the pain of the herpes cold sore inside mouth. This cold sore home treatment also reduces the spread of the virus. This is the simplest cold sore treatment that works wonders.
3. Applying virgin coconut oil is one of the best natural remedy for treating cold sores. You can also crush a lysine tablet, mix it with the coconut oil before applying. The oil shrinks the cold sore until it is back to normal.
4. Lemon juice is also known to help get rid of fever blisters. Thin slices of lemon can be kept on sores and changed as they dry out. Instead of lemon juice, try spraying a little lemon juice on the fever blister directly.
5. Aspirin is great for relieving the pain of cold sores, but there’s another, more important benefit to this cold sore remedy. Studies have shown that an aspirin a day will cut the healing time in half.
6. After the herpes cold sore inside mouth gets crusty, use petroleum jelly to keep it from cracking and bleeding. Always remember to use a fresh cotton swab to apply it, though. Using your fingers could contaminate the jar.
Natural Herbal Remedies to Get Rid of Fever Blisters
1. Try fever blister remedies using herbs like tea tree oil, sage and witch hazel to reduce the irritation. If the sores are large and distended, then hot compresses help the sores to burst which will help get rid of cold sores faster. But remember once they burst, they are more likely to spread the infection and should be quickly disinfected and cleaned.
2. The aloe plant is a very effective natural remedy against several skin infections, including fever blisters. Rubbing the gel of aloe vera leaves over the cold sores will alleviate itching and tingling. It will also help to quicken the healing process.
3. Look for lemon balm ointment at your local health-food store. This stuff contains essential oils that inhibit the growth of the virus. Studies have shown that using lemon balm daily will not only cut down on the number of outbreaks that you experience, but it may stop fever blister outbreaks completely.
4. Another beneficial home remedy for herpes simplex virus or fever blisters is to add a couple of drops of the extract of grapefruit seed to olive oil and apply to the areas of oral herpes.
5. Liquorice is another herbal remedy for cold sores (fever blisters or oral herpes). Licorice can be taken internally as well as applied topically while cold sores are present. Licorice root extract contain glycyrhizic acid , which will help heal cold sore quickly. This herbal treatment also cures shingles and canker core.
Tips to Get Rid of Cold Sores
For a person suffering from blisters on lips and herpes cold sore inside mouth, controlling the intake of foods that often trigger generic allergies, can sometimes help. Avoid include chocolate, tea, coffee, grains and nuts in order to get rid of cold sores fast.
People suffering from cold sores should also maintain good hygiene and avoid sharing items of a personal nature. Cleanliness is the key to prevent hsv cold sore or fever blisters.
Make sure that you replace your toothbrush after a cold sore outbreak! Another way to prevent future attacks would be to keep your toothbrush dry in between uses. A moist toothbrush is a great place for the cold sores virus to breed and multiply.