Get Rid of Cold Sores or Fever Blisters
Cold Sores are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters that usually appear around the outside of lips or mouth, and occasionally on your nose or cheeks. Cold sores are painful and unattractive. Fever blisters are often very itchy and tend to cause a stinging sensation. Cold sore outbreaks usually clear up on their own without any herpes or cold sores treatments. To help it heal faster, there are many natural remedies for fever blisters you can try at home.
Cold sores, also called fever blisters, are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1, which is usually acquired in childhood through contact with infected saliva. A cold sore, caused by the herpes simplex virus, is spread from one person to another through infected bodily fluids. Fever blisters can develop due to a lowered immune system due to stress or sickness.
Home Remedy Treatments for Cold Sores
Left alone, a cold sore will usually heal on its own within a few days. To help it heal faster, there are many natural remedies for cold sores you can try at home. Here are some of the best home remedies to get rid of cold sores fast using household herbs.
1. The simplest and easiest home remedy for cold sores is placing a cold and wet towel on the sore. It will help reduce its redness and swelling.
2. If want to get rid of your cold sore fast, place a small amount of salt on the cold sore and hold it in place with your finger for a minute or two. This may be painful but it is one of the quickest ways to get rid of a cold sore overnight.
Another natural method to get rid of cold sore in mouth is swishing salt water over sores in the mouth. Do that 2 or 3 times a day until healed. It’ll help with the pain as well.
3. Dab some vitamin E on a painful cold sore to help take the sting out of it. This treatment can be done every eight hours with a cotton swab, until the fever blister subsides or the pain stops.
4. Dab your lips and other susceptible areas with a sunscreen of at least 15 SPF to prevent the occurrence of cold sores and fever blister.
5. An effective core sore remedy is to apply tea bags to the blister. This facilitates the tannic acid in the tea to act against the virus and prevent its further development.
6. Another natural treatment for removing cold sore on lip is applying aloe vera on the sores as it helps stimulate the production of white blood cells that help fight the infection. Simply rub aloe juice directly onto the infected area for some fast relief. Aloe gels can also be used instead of fresh aloe juice.
7. Ice is a very good home remedy to get rid of fever blisters. Rub ice on the infected skin for few minutes to ease the pain of cold sores and speed the healing process. Take ice touch 3-6 times a day to get rid of cold sore fast.
8. To get rid of fever blisters, you may use camphor remedy. Use a swab to apply spirit of camphor to the cold sore and avoid its virus from spreading to other body parts. Spirit of camphor is readily available online, and in many health stores.
9. Home remedies for cold sores involves applying turmeric paste to the sore and leaving it on for half an hour before washing it off. This works because turmeric is a natural painkiller and anti-inflammatory agent.
10. Cold sore on lips treatment using peppermint oil has also been found to be very effective. Peppermint oil can penetrate the skin and its powerful antiviral properties can have a curing effect on fever blisters.
11. Milk contains proteins known as immunoglobulins, which are essentially anti-bodies that fight off and prevent viruses-like herpes. Raw whole milk also contains an important amino acid called l-lysine, which may help speed up the healing process of herpes as well. Use a cotton ball soaked in milk to ease the pain. If you apply milk as a cold sore starts, it will help it heal faster.
12. Tea tree oil is the most effective cold sore treatment ever. Soak soft cotton in tea tree oil then apply softly on the fever blisters on lips. Let dry it up and use twice daily. It dramatically reduces both the duration and discomfort of the cold sore.
13. Lemon balm’s herbal properties have been shown to combat and heal cold sores due to the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Lemon balm can soothe, prevent, and even eliminate outbreaks of shingles, cold sores, and genital herpes. Drink a few cups of lemon balm tea each day to help eliminate the virus from your body. Applying topical ointments containing lemon balm help heal cold sores.
14. St. John’s Wort also has strong anti-viral properties and so is a great herb to use when making a cold sore remedy. To treat your fever blister on lips, apply St John’s wart oil to the lip sore several times.
15. Holy Basil can also be used as a home remedy for cold sores. Drinking warm holy basil tea or using a tincture made from the fresh plant can help heal cold sores on lips and canker sores or mouth ulcers.
16. There is no way to hide a big blister on your lip, and the formation of a scab makes it look even worse. Soften the fever blister with petroleum jelly. Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly over the cold sore using clean fingers. Petroleum jelly can keep a cold sore scab moist, which in turn, will speed the healing underneath the scab, so it will fall off faster.
17. For those who do suffer from cold sores, start eating plain yogurt. Natural yogurts that contain acidophilus support the immune system and aid in the body’s recovery process. You can also apply yogurt directly on the fever blister to ease pain and speed up the healing process.
18. To get rid of cold sore, dab the sore with a cotton bud soaked in a tincture of myrrh up to 10 times daily. Be sure to use a clean cotton swab each time. Myrrh directly attacks the virus that causes fever blisters. You’ll find myrrh in health-food stores.
19. Witch hazel is possibly one of the best home remedies for cold sores. Applying witch hazel on the cold sore can help ease irritation to your skin. Witch hazel also relieves itching and has somewhat of a drying effect on the sore and surrounding skin. You can find this in your local pharmacy or health store.
20. You can simply consume lemon juice 1-2 times a day to heal cold sores. To shorten healing time, dab a little lemon juice on that irritating cold sore or fever blister. The juice acts as an astringent and promotes healing.
21. Treat cold sores and fever blisters with Bioflavonoids. Bioflavonoids help prevent cold sores. Red wine, green tea and grape juice should be consumed on a regular basis. Brewer’s yeast, aloe Vera, burdock tea, and licorice may bring relief.
22. To get rid of cold sores in your mouth, you need to use prescription ointments, oral analgesic or antacid formulas. You can also use aloe vera juice as a mouth rinse several times a day to get rid of cold sore inside the mouth.
These are some of the best cold sore remedies that work effectively for treating fever blisters.
If your cold sores persist for longer than two weeks, even with home remedy treatment, you should consider seeking professional medical treatment to get rid of cold sores fast.