What are Freckles
Freckles also known as ephelides are tanned spots that are usually found in fair skinned individuals. They are normally round patches of dark or light brown in color but sometimes they can be reddish or blackish in appearance.
Their number multiplies very fast and they cover large patches of skin like a cluster of dark stains within a small span of time. These spots are nothing but concentrated melanin pigment accumulation on skin. Freckles are mostly harmless brown spots found on the elevated portions of the face which include cheek, forehead and nose. Besides this chest, arms and hips are the other most freckle prone areas of the body.
Since eruption of freckles in large patches make the skin dark and unattractive, they become a cause of concern for beauty conscious people. Occurrence of brown spots on skin is seen among all age groups irrespective of time. Growth of freckles and brown spots on skin is related to several factors such as precipitation of melanin pigment, over exposure to sunlight, genetic cause, pregnancy and hormone imbalance. Xeroderma Pigmentosum is a rare skin condition which leads to excessive melanin precipitation with over exposure to sun light. Generally person with a sensitive skin type are prone to melanin synthesis that get hastened in presence of UV rays, thus leading to the development of freckle spots.
Types of Freckles
Freckles are classified under two groups; one is primary ephelides and the other one is secondary ephelides known as Lentigines ephelides. Primary ephelides are usually light brown in color and are commonly seen among fair skinned individuals. The peculiarity of this group is related to their appearance which increases during summer months and tends to fade away towards winter. They are hereditary in nature so runs in particular families due to genetic factor.
Secondary freckles called as Lentigines or Lentigo which is derived from a Latin word Lentil because of their much resembled appearance to some groups of legumes. Their color varies from light brown to black but they are generally darker in appearance than the normal ephelides or freckles. They are permanent in nature that means they do not fade away in winter as their primary counter parts do. Medical dictionary describes them as Lentigo simplex, which erupts due to a rare genetic condition.
Freckle Removal – How to Get Rid of Freckles Naturally
It is possible to keep a tab on freckles which occur mostly due to sun exposure by avoiding direct sun light especially during afternoon hours. There are a number of natural treatments available for freckle removal. These spot treatments assist in healing the freckles completely or making them comparatively lighter in appearance so that they can easily get disguised.
1. Potato juice and lemon juice are natural bleach to help get rid of brown spots and freckles. Extracts of these juices mixed in equal proportion makes an excellent skin tonic that fade away freckles in long run. These juices can also be applied separately. Dab the juice with help of cotton ball and keep it on for 15-20 minutes then rinse well with splashes of cold water. Apply some moisturizer immediately to prohibit skin drying. Noticeable difference in color of freckles can be seen within 2 weeks of regular application.
2. Application of curd on face and other freckle prone areas of the body can be quite beneficial to get rid of freckles permanently. As lactic acid content of curd acts as a natural skin lightener, it would reduce stubborn pigmentation marks and make the skin lighter. A mask of curd and turmeric powder can be prepared together to get rid of brown freckles on face. Turmeric is another best natural skin care ingredient which is also well known for its skin lightening property, so application of this curd and turmeric mask on regular basis lighten freckle spots remarkably.
3. Honey remedy help to remove freckles. A drop of warm honey if applied on the brown spots on skin every day before going to the bed would make the skin lighter. To speed up the action one can add a few drops of lemon juice to the warm honey syrup which makes it doubly effective against freckle removal.
4. A concoction of warm honey and wheat germ can be prepared and applied on freckles directly to get rid of freckles fast. Let it get dried then scrub it in circular motion and finally wash the area with warm water followed by cold splashes. This is an excellent natural remedy to cure freckles. Wheat germ could be replaced with oatmeal which serves the similar purpose.
5. Powder of yellow mustard seed along with fresh milk is highly efficient to get rid of a freckle. Yellow mustard is said to peel off the dark upper skin and enhance the growth of supple blemish free skin from within. For this one need to apply the paste on dark brown spots on skin and leave overnight .This visibly reduce the darkness of freckle and help in overall improvement of skin texture.
6. Aloe Vera is a very helpful plant in treating freckles naturally. Inner gel of Aloe leaf get absorbed by the skin completely to crack down dark melanin disposition successfully. Essential oil of Aloe Vera is also very good at healing freckle spots on skin. Like this Tea tree oil also assist in removing dark patches of freckles.
7. Several face packs prepared from fruit and vegetable extracts are good solution for freckle removal. Vegetables such as tomato, cucumber are good in this regard. Just put some mashed vegetables on affected skin and then washed it off after 10 minutes. Strawberry, Black currant and apricot masks are said to heal freckled skin effectively.
8. A mixture of horseradish, vinegar and oatmeal makes a soothing mask on how to get rid of freckles fast. It will lighten the sun freckles and checks any further color change.
9. Red onions are good for treating brown freckle spots on skin. One can take few slices of red onion and rub them gently over those brown spots on skin for about five minutes. This procedure should be repeated twice every day for about a fortnight to see some visible positive changes in your dark spots on face.
10. Castor oil is also very helpful for removing brown freckles. Regular massage of the affected area with pure castor oil before bed time is an efficient to get rid of freckles in dry skinned individuals.
11. Lentils are one of the best home remedies for freckle removal. In case of oily skinned individuals, a smooth paste of lentil (soaked overnight) along with raw milk could work wonder. Just apply the paste on the brown spots on skin and leave for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. this freckle removal remedy would remove the excess oil from the skin and make the freckles lighter on the same time.