How To Get Rid Of Poison Ivy
When a person’s skin comes in contact with poison ivy, they normally break out into a rash, because of the presence of “Urushiol” found in the plant. This rash, along with other symptoms of poison ivy (like blisters, red pimples, inflammation), can appear a few hours or even days after contact with the plant.
Poison ivy usually effects areas like the face, legs, hands, or arms, but can spread to other parts of the body. Healing from this skin problem could take anywhere between a week or two. Calamine lotion is one of the most effective ways to soothe and cure poison ivy.
Poison Ivy Treatment – Home Remedies to Cure Poison Ivy Fast
Generally, contact with poison ivy can definitely cause great inconvenience. In case contact with the plant occurs and skin gets affected, there are home remedies that one can use to relieve typical poison ivy symptoms. You can try some of the following home remedies in order to alleviate your discomfort from poison ivy rash.
1. One of the most common ingredients for treating poison ivy rash that can be found in any kitchen is the oatmeal. Luckily, it is also very effective in the treatment of poison ivy rash. Boil some oatmeal, as you normally do and allow it to cool a bit, till it is no longer hot, but warm. Apply the warm oatmeal to the areas that have been affected. Apply the oatmeal mixture in such a way, that it forms a thick layer. As the mixture dries, it should harden. This is a great natural remedy to get of the itchiness associated with a poison ivy rash.
2. Vitamins on the other hand are likewise great in healing the skin rash caused by poison ivy specifically vitamins E and C. Vitamin E in the form of capsules are filled with oil. Open up the capsule and rub the oil into the rash area. In the case of Vitamin C, one can dissolve a tablet in warm water and use this to wash the infected area. You can also use lemon or orange by squeezing its juice into the skin as an effective wash. For those with sensitive skin, dabbing the juice can help in the treatment for poison ivy.
3. Baking Soda is another ingredient often used to provide relief from the itchiness caused by poison ivy. Make a thick paste using baking soda (3 tablespoons) and water (1 teaspoon) and apply it to your poison ivy rashes. Leave it on, till it dries. You can freshen the application every two hours for a total of 3 applications each day.
4. Banana peel is another best natural remedy to get rid of poison ivy rash. Using the inner part of a banana peel has been known to bring instant relief, when rubbed on a rash caused by poison ivy.
- Tips to Avoid Poison Ivy – First Aid Treatment for Poison Ivy
- Eczema Treatments – Natural Home Remedies for Eczema
5. Use apple cider vinegar for poison ivy rash treatment. Apple cider vinegar is one of the most reliable method for treating poison ivy and oak. Using organic apple cider vinegar helps in curing poison ivy, as it seems to remove its poison. All you need to do is apply vinegar liberally on the blisters or rash.
Apart from the above home remedies, you could also try some natural herbal remedies for healing poison ivy rash quickly.
Poison Ivy Treatment – Natural Herbal Remedies For Poison Ivy Rash
These herbal remedies are also effective on how to get rid of poison ivy fast.
1.When it comes to natural home cures and remedies for poison ivy, one of the most common is the Jewelweed. Jewelweed leaves or juice cures the discomfort of ivy poisoning. It neutralizes the Poison Ivy’s oily antigen called Urushiol. Gently rub the leaves of this plant to the irritated part of the skin to stop itching and further development of rash. Jewelweed likewise has juice that can be found on its hollow stems. Extract the juice and rub it on the areas, allowing it to dry up to hasten the healing process. Jewelweed is known to cure poison ivy infection in as short as 3 days.
2. Another common herbal remedy for the treatment of infection from poison ivy is Goldenseal. Mix a tablespoon of goldenseal root in the form of powder with warm water. After it has cooled down, dab the solution into the poison ivy rash. The anti-inflammatory properties of this herb are sure to help in rapidly drying up the poison ivy blisters and rashes.
3. Tea tree essential oil is yet another great home remedy for poison ivy rash treatment. Tea tree essential oil help stop itch and cure poison ivy. This oil is thought to stop the rash from itching and reduce redness and swelling. For the best results, apply a thin coat of tea tree oil directly to the skin every few hours for several days.
4. Aloe vera is one of the best ways on how to get rid of poison ivy as it is really soothing to treat skin allergies. Apply liberal amount of aloe vera gel or juice on the affected areas. This poison ivy remedy relieves itch and will help dry up blisters.
5. Honeysuckle plant is a traditional herb. This herbal treatment helps to get rid of skin rashes, eczema, and allergies of the skin, and blemishes. You can use honeysuckle leaves as a cure for poison ivy. It works wonders to relieve poison ivy skin rashes and blemishes.
6. You can also use Wild Peach Tea for the treatment of poison ivy rashes.
7. Also try Rhubarb, Manzanita leaf tea, Sweet fern,and Fiddlehead ferns to get rid of poison ivy.
You should stay away from the leaves and vines of the poison ivy in order to avoid getting into contact with its oil, which is the main reason why discomforting poison ivy rash develops in the first place. In case you notice an unusually high amount of swelling or rapid redness from poison ivy, please contact your doctor immediately for poison ivy treatment, as these two symptoms could occur because of a severe allergic reaction.