Shingles, also known as herpes zoster, is a viral infection of the nerves caused by varicella zoster, the same virus that causes chicken pox. The first symptom of shingles is a sharp, burning pain along a nerve, which is followed by the appearance of red blisters on the surface of the skin a few days later. These rashes mostly appear on the midriff and may spread to one side of the chest. The skin around the shingles rashes turns tender and sometimes even numb, but mostly it hurts badly.
Occasionally the blisters spread to the limbs and the head too. In about a week, they burst on their own and get healed eventually, but the pain may persist for several weeks more. This happens because the virus that causes chicken pox is not completely eliminated from the body and may remain dormant for several years before attacking the system again when its natural immunity is weakened. Elderly people and chronically ill patients are susceptible to shingles symptoms.
Shingles Treatment – Home Remedies for Shingles Symptoms
Both shingles and chickenpox may present with a low grade fever. Both usually go away with no problems to the patient. Many individuals opt for natural treatment for shingles. There are a few home remedies that you may find useful in relieving the symptoms of shingles.
1. Firstly, it is necessary to improve the immune system by consuming vitamin C rich foods. Supplements of vitamin C may also be taken. The virus may also be flushed out the system by consuming a drink of water and sea salt. Including garlic in meals is another way of combating the varicella-zoster virus.
- How to Stop Post Nasal Drip
- Home Remedies for Migraine symptoms Relief
- How to Get Rid of Warts
- How to Get Rid of Allergies Naturally
2. One of the most effective ways of reducing the pain caused by shingles is to grind two aspirin tablets to powder, mix this with two tablespoons of chloroform and apply this paste over the affected area. This acts as a local anesthetic and relieves the pain for several hours.
3. Alternatively, mix one part of apple cider vinegar with four parts of water, soak a piece of cotton cloth in this solution and dab the affected area with it in gentle upward motions to get rid of shingles symptoms.
4. In order to get rid of the burning sensation from shingles, you may also apply cold packs on the skin at regular intervals. Wrap up a few ice cubes in a soft towel and press this gently against the affected area for 10 minutes to soothe the skin naturally. A solution of baking powder and water may also be applied on the shingles for similar results.
5. Apply a mixture of zinc oxide and yogurt on the skin along the affected nerve to reduce the appearance of painful blisters. You should also drink one cup of the juice of pear every morning, as it contains caffeic acid which acts as a natural antiviral agent.
- How To Get Rid Of Poison Ivy
- How to Get Rid of Cold Sores (Fever Blisters)
- Tinnitus (Ringing in Ears) Treatment
6. The capsaicin contained in cayenne pepper is known to ease the rash caused by shingles. A small quantity of capsaicin may be added to a gentle body lotion and then applied on the skin. This is one of the best treatment for shingles.
7. Make a paste of cornstarch or baking soda and apply it over the blisters to naturally relieve itching caused by a shingles rash. Baking soda is excellent for stopping the itch from shingles. Cornstarch can help you soothe irritated skin as well as reduce itchiness.This remedy will help dry and heal your blisters more quickly.
8.To alleviate the itch and rash of shingles, you can also try vitamin E oil. Before going to bed, gently massage the skin around the blisters with vitamin E oil to relieve itching.
9. It is also useful to apply some hydrogen peroxide on the blisters twice o thrice every day in order to prevent them from getting infected.
10. Coconut oil may also be applied to treat shingle rash. Apply a liberal amount of virgin coconut oil onto the area, and then cover up it with a bandage to get rid f pain and itching of shingles.
11. Essential oils such as geranium and peppermint oil are also known to be effective in treating shingles. These oils will help soothe and calm shingles rashes and itch.
12. To obtain relief from itching, honey may be applied to the affected areas. It also helps in clearing the blisters associated with shingles.
13. Another effective home remedy for shingles is the application of garlic on the affected nerve to relieve the pain. Garlic is one of the strongest antiviral foods to treat the shingles.
14. Apply the some cold tea to the blisters with the help of a cotton ball. Tea leaves contain tannins, which have anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties to help get rid of shingles before blisters appear.
- Sinus Infection Home Remedy Treatments
- Chicken Pox Symptoms – Home Remedies
- Athlete’s Foot Treatment
15. Geranium essential oil is a natural and quick remedy for nerve pain. Once you detect the symptoms of shingles, apply geranium essential oil on the affected skin.
16. Epsom salt is another best ingredient for shingles treatment. Apply a paste made from Epsom salt and water directly to the affected area for drying blisters, soothing inflammation and for getting relief from the itching and pain related to shingles.
You can try these natural treatments for getting rid of shingles symptoms fast. It is also necessary to avoid picking at and scratching blisters.